Voxtrot was an indie pop band from Austin, Texas, USA. Their first recordings were released in 2003 and their final shows were in June 2010.
BiographyVoxtrot was formed in Austin, Texas by singer/songwriter Ramesh Srivastava in the early 2000s. Early incarnations of the group included Jennifer Moore and Brandon Eastes, but by 2005 when the band's self-released debut, a five-song EP entitled Raised by Wolves, was released the lineup had been solidified to include Srivastava, Jason Chronis, Matt Simon, Mitch Calvert, and Jared van Fleet.
After the release of Raised by Wolves the band began touring nationally and received accolades from various online and print publications such as SPIN.com and Pitchfork Media. SPIN.com noted that Raised by Wolves was "...a stunning mini-collection of John Hughes-heyday paeans, twitchy pop, and surging, Strokes-y dancefloor fillers."
A second five-song EP, Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives, arrived in stores on April 4, 2006. The three-song EP Your Biggest Fan followed on November 7 of the same year.
The band's first full length album self-titled debut album was released on May 22, 2007. The first single, "Blood Red Blood", was also released as a 7" limited to 1000 copies. In 2007 the band performed a Take-Away Show acoustic session shot by Vincent Moon.[Link 1]
In March 2009 Voxtrot released the single "Trepanation Party", which received significant airplay on the Sirius/XM's influential Sirius XMU channel. The track was recorded and mixed with Jim Eno of the band Spoon. The sound of "Trepanation Party" is a significant departure from their indie sound, towards a more synth-pop feel.
Voxtrot released a limited edition 7" single "Berlin, Without Return..." on August 3, 2009. The single contained the song "The Dream Lives of Ordinary People" as a B-side and was initially released in a limited pressing of 400 copies. The single was self-released by the band's own Cult Hero Records.
On April 21, 2010, lead singer Ramesh Srivastava announced on the band's website that they would be breaking up following a short tour.
As of January 2011, former lead singer, Ramesh Srivastava, has released his first solo EP album, Ramesh's EP 1. Singles from the track can be found on his website [Link 2].
- Voxtrot (2007) Playlouderecordings / The Beggars Group
- Raised by Wolves EP (2005) Cult Hero Records
- Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives EP (2006) Cult Hero Records
- Your Biggest Fan EP & 7" (2006) Beggars Group/Playlouderecordings (#4 on Billboard Hot Singles Sales)
- The Start of Something 7" b/w "Dirty Version" (2004) Cult Hero Records / The Bus Stop Label
- Raised by Wolves 7" b/w "They Never Mean What They Say" (2005) Magic Marker Records
- Trepanation Party digital single (2009) Cult Hero Records
- Berlin, Without Return... 7" b/w "The Dream Lives Of Ordinary People" (2009) Cult Hero Records
- Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives 7" b/w "Rise Up In The Dirt" (2006) Full Time Hobby Records
- Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives EP & 2x7" (2006) Re-Issue / Beggars Group/Playlouderecordings
- Trouble 7" (limited to 1000 copies) and digital single, from the Your Biggest Fan EP (2007) Beggars Group/Playlouderecordings
- Blood Red Blood 7" (limited to 1000 copies) and digital single, from Voxtrot (2007) Beggars Group/Playlouderecordings
- Firecracker 7" (limited to 1000 copies), CD and digital single, from Voxtrot (2007) No. 19 UK Indie Beggars Group/Playlouderecordings
- "The Start of Something" featured on Bang Crash Boom, Little Teddy Recordings, 2005 (Germany)
- "Warmest Part of the Winter" featured on Little Darla Has a Treat for You, vol. 24 · Darla Records, 2006 (US)
- "The Start Of Something" featured on The Kids At The Club, How Does It Feel To Be Loved, 2006 (UK)
- "The Start of Something" featured on the feature film The Ex 2007 (US)
- "Whiskey & Water" featured on P.E.A.C.E., Buffet Libre/Amnesty International, 2010 (Spain)
- Firecracker on YouTube.com
- Steven on YouTube.com
Notes and References
Biography from , the free encyclopedia.
It may not have been reviewed by a professional editor, and recent changes may not show up straight away. See the latest version of this article. Used under licence. Subject to disclaimers.